| Aug 28, 2006 |
| Rural in the Rain |
 In terms of personal memories, this performance day will always be at the top of my list. Getting ready at the festivalhal, our guides Rita and An were waiting to take us to the hall. When all of a sudden, we look outside (r. - pic courtesy of Randy). We couldn't believe it!! Wyness surprised us all by running outside and running around. Crazy boy! We also took the opportunity to humor ourselves and take lots more pictures! Including a full-musician photo! I can't believe how many dancers stepped up this year to help out with music for Belgium!
 As we're standing around I'm talking to our guides about Hof Ter Linden, the Baron's Castle where we are supposed to be performing. It's about a 15 minute walk, and they tell me that not to worry, the stage is covered. Oh, but by the way - the musicians are NOT covered. WHAAA?!?! Oh well I guess we'll just have to pray it stops raining for when we perform!
After about 20 minutes or so, the rain stops and we walk over to Hof Ter Linden. It is quite the sight! I wish I could find a picture of us walking on the cobblestone pathway, into the woods, towards the white castle at the end...then through the mud, etc...it was crazy! Quote of the day: "Well...so much for our $30 sapatils!!" (Myla). While standing and waiting to go on, the photographers are like paparazzi, taking our pictures, close ups, solos - how fun! It starts to rain so we make our way into the tent. I say to Rondalla "Even if it starts raining, we do not stop playing until they tell us to!", lol! So the rain briefly stops just in time for our performance. Things are going well...crowd is loving us...we're almost done...then...it happens...right in the middle of Binasuan no less, a drop on my head. Then all of a sudden...DOWNPOUR!!!! The crowd is scrambling to get under cover and they pull out their umbrellas...and I look over, and Rondalla is just playing away, smiling, all wet! The techs tell us to move undercover but there are no mics! Good thing, Wyness was DI'ed! We walk over, still playing, but nobody can hear us (only Wyness), so what happens? The dancers start HUMMING tinikling! Teamwork! We were stuck there even after our performance because it was still pouring, so we engage in an impromptu Tinikling w/ audience participation!
Of course, after our performance - it was sunny for the rest of the day. But it doesn't matter...I think the rain just added to our adventure!
|
| posted by cristina @ 7:51 PM |
|
|
|
|
|
|
| Worth Reminiscing |
| Royalties |
 |
| |