| Sep 6, 2006 |
| Going Home...or not??? |
What an adventure it was trying to go home.
It must have been scary for our families back home when all the media frenzy was going on about London and the bomb scares. I remember Michelle was talking about it while we were in Edegem, but because we had no access to tv or radio at home I had no idea just how serious things were! We just hoped we would make it home, despite all the stringent regulations...
It's getting late and I'm tired so here it is in point form:
- Brussels airport - BA tells us all is well, we can still bring stuff on board just no liquids (but they tell us it's still ok to buy duty free once past security - we stock up). Agent tells me and Patrick we can bring our octavina/guitar on board along with one carry one. - Leave Brussels 1 hour late - quote of the plane ride: "Should I use a pen or a pencil?" (Alexa Rose Roberts); we are scheduled to arrive at Heathrow at 5:00pm; our connecting flight is at 5:15pm. WTF? Cristina says "oh well...it won't be so bad if we get stuck in London for a night, I want some fish & chips!". Good job, Cristina. You'll see why... - Arrive at Heathrow at 5:10pm and boot it to security gate (someone-will-be-at-the-gate-to- escort-you-my-a$$!!!) , where they take us past the line up to the front. Cute Filipino looking security guy w/ British accent - why hello! - but no time to flirt because he tells us that we can only take one carry on AND *NO LIQUIDS NOT EVEN DUTY FREE*! WTF?!?! Cute Filipino security guy tells us our options - dispose of the duty free booze, and Patrick and I - who have two handcarry each b/c of our instruments - must go to 'land' in the UK, then check in at departures again. - After some though and some choice phrases ["You guys need stronger communication!!" (JB) and "Well, then you should just close all the duty free then!!!" (MB)] we realize it doesn't make sense for us ALL to stay behind...so me, Patrick, and Pamela end up separating from the group. - Me shouting across the customs lineup to the Medallas and Alexa; "gu ys, just let me do all the talking";...no chance of making it to our flight...so we stand in line for 90 minutes to rebook on the next day's flight, and thank goodness for Renata, the nicest BA Agent ever, we get a free room at the Hilton, dinner, and breakfast, and confirmed seats on the next day's flight at 1pm. - London, baby!! We were filled with excitement walking to the hotel, and decided to make the most of our time in London...but by the time we settled in, called home, and ate, it was already almost 9pm! - We took a 45 minute subway ride to Picadilly Circus and Leichester Square, then got lost coming back. An interesting evening - I lost my mind a few times, going up the wrong escalator, getting puked on my foot by a drunk subway patron, etc. We finally made our way home just past midnight. - I have to say - the Hilton's 'white linen collection' is pretty damn comfortable! Too bad P had pushed me all the way to one side of the bed and stole my pillow! B**ch!! =P
NOW Are We Going Home?!?! We got to the airport early - thank goodness - because it was still mayhem and chaos. P and I got 'randomly chosen' for an x-ray screening. Nice. But at least we got to bypass the lines. I picked up about 10 bags of cocktail shrimp chips, yay! The plane ride was ok, I couldn't sleep much, I guess that's what happens during a daytime flight! You know how when you've been away from home for so long you just want to be HOME to sleep in your own bed?!?! I couldn't wait for that!! And while it sucked that we didn't get to go home with the rest of the group, we did make the most of it, and it was fun hanging out with the PV's - I felt almost 24 again. Almost. lol.
Home We got home at around 3pm...home sweet home! What a whirlwind adventure, from beginning to end!
Blogger community, please don't get sued or cancel your services...I will lose these posts forever!!!! =)
The past few weeks have been a definitely adjustment period - the whole week after I returned, I was still in Belgium mode. Two weeks later, I am busy at work, busy in LIFE in general, and in 4 days, I will be on another plane, for another adventure!!!
I have to say - this has DEFINITELY been a summer to remember!!! |
| posted by cristina @ 10:41 PM |
|
|
|
|
|
|
| Worth Reminiscing |
| Royalties |
 |
| |